Latest news in Yorkshire: November 18, 2017 09:29:34 AM
Members of Rotherham’s Youth Cabinet are urging other youngsters to be confident with their body image as part of a raft of measures they want to focus on in the year ahead.
The issue forms part of their Youth Cabinet manifesto, which they are launching at the Town Hall tonight at 5.00 pm.
They are planning to work with Rotherham partners, including health and Council leaders, to launch a conference for young people on this issue and also create a film to help educate people around body image.
“Body image is a huge issue for our generation, especially with the rise of social media,” said Toni Paxford, aged 18, from the Youth Cabinet. “Friends of mine have told me they have skipped meals or avoided going out with family and friends because they say they feel fat, which is just heart-breaking.
“We need young people to feel proud of whom they are, whatever shape, size or colour they are. They need to not feel judged by this, or by what they wear, by others. We are all born equal and people need to remember this as they grow up which is why we want to draw attention to this subject and help people feel better about themselves. That is why we feel it is important that we raise awareness of this issue.”
Other items the Youth Cabinet will be looking at in the year ahead include increasing opportunities for young people to take part in positive work experience, by highlighting where they can find good work experience and volunteering opportunities. They also want to increase opportunities for mental health first aid training which will help raise awareness of mental health, enabling people to support themselves and others to aid recovery.
They will continue to work with bus and transport companies and partnerships to address issues raised by young people in Rotherham and will support further roll out of the Child Friendly Borough initiative. Key to this initiative is making sure all young people feel their voices are heard and listened to.
Through the Child Friendly initiative the group aim to give a voice to the town’s young people and help them shape their community.
Cllr Gordon Watson, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Children and Young People’s services at Rotherham Council added: “It is great to see young people taking such a lead on these really important issues. The Youth Cabinet have done some great work over the last few years and reading their manifesto it is clear they want to continue to do even more great work in the year to come. I wish them every success for the year ahead.”
The Youth Cabinet will unveil its 2017/18 manifesto at the Town Hall to a gathering of guests.
Members of the Youth Cabinet are also celebrating after their youth worker Sarah Bellamy, who provides support for the group from the Council, won Youth Voice Worker of the Year at the last week’s British Youth Council national awards.
The group is also out to recruit new members and encourage more young people to have a say through the Your Voice initiative. For more information:
- Hydrotherapy pool build underway
- Bolton-on-Dearne Mexborough Road
- Man jailed for Doncaster rapes
- Man jailed for Barnsley assaults
- Mexborough teenager admits terror offence.
- Yellow warning for Yorkshire & Humber
- Diversity through Barnsley
- Students engineer driverless cars as part of a new society
- Bus travel helps thousands of young people take part in community programme
- Wath High Street Coronation Celebration 1936
- Appeal for witnesses following collision in Wombwell
- Spooky Yorkshire Wildlife Park Weekend
- Rotherham Remembrance events
- Manvers golf course plans easier holes to attract more players
- Man jailed for dumbbell assault
- Rotherham’s Mayor gives her backing to Project EDWARD
- Wath Town Centre Off Sandygate
- Mexborough South Yorkshire – Railway
- wathupondearne Latest news in Yorkshire: Published March 23, 2019 08:47:49 AM A report which has agreed to allocate £250,000 from the Berneslai Homes surplus to support work on an affordable warmth programme for private sector housing over the next three years has been approved. Launching in March, at least 106 households will benefit from the overall programme, giving an average spend per property of £2,358. External funding of around £575,000 is also expected to be brought in, allowing hundreds more households to benefit. All energy efficiency works will be delivered through the existing Better Homes Barnsley framework and the new Warm Homes and Hospital Discharge team will help to assess need and eligibility for these schemes. The Barnsley energy tariff, the local energy supply offer provided by Great North Energy, will also be available to the residents who benefit from this programme, offering further potential for them to save money and be able to heat their homes to a comfortable level. The programme will be fully evaluated so that further funding can be secured to make it sustainable in the long-term. It will rely on referrals from health professionals and front-line council workers, although residents can self-refer. Councillor Roy Miller, Cabinet Spokesperson for Place, said: “There are currently around 11,500 households in fuel poverty in Barnsley and we also have above average rates of excess winter deaths. “This funding will allow the council to take a more holistic approach to tackling cold homes by joining up with other services to provide heating systems and insulation to the most vulnerable residents living in private sector housing.” Paul Hayes, Chair of Berneslai Homes Board, added: “Last year the Berneslai Homes Board agreed to spend some of its company surplus to support projects aimed at economic regeneration and the health and wellbeing of people in Barnsley. This is the first of those projects aimed at reducing fuel poverty. “We want all residents in Barnsley to have a home that is warm and safe to live in.” This news is linked to Town Spirit. We want to work better together. If everyone in Barnsley does just one thing, together we can make our borough a more welcoming place where people want to live, work and visit.
- ROTHERHAM BY-ELECTION
- X-Factor Star to Appear in Rotherham Civic Theatre Panto
- Sheffield charity taxi with a pub in the front seat
- River Dove wetland projects will support wildlife and reduce flood risk
- E-fit released in connection to distraction burglary
- Conisborough robbery
- Wath Montgomery Road 1991
- Man dies following Hillsborough stabbing
- Redevelopment Of Swinton Town Centre
- Wath All Saints Church
- Wath All Saints Church
- Suspected Coronavirus symptoms – Mexborough
- £30 million housing boost for Rotherham Town Centre
- Anti-Fraud Awareness Week is almost here
- SODA-WATER FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
- Seven arrested in connection with Mexborough shooting
- Firearms incident in Rotherham
- Rotherham trio jailed for armed robbery
- Community event promises a fun chance to learn something new!
- New joint fire and police station goes live in Rotherham
- Robbery of pizza delivery driver- Can you help?