20180919-HGV-Smiler-ride-cr.jpg
#wathupondearne
A woman from Barnsley who lost part of her leg after a crash on a ride at
Alton Towers is suing the park’s owners, her lawyers have said.
Leah Washington (pictured), 20, along with Vicky Balch, 23, from Leyland in
Lancashire, were in the front seats of the Smiler ride which rammed into a
stationary carriage in June 2015.
They could each receive “well in excess of £2m” in compensation if the High
Court claim is successful.
The women are suing Merlin Attractions Operations Ltd for negligence and or
breach of statutory duty.
Merlin said it was “on standby to conclude settlement discussions on the
outstanding claims as soon as they are ready”.
The Staffordshire theme park owner has already admitted breaching the Health
and Safety Act, and was fined £5m in September 2016.
===================
See our yorkshire photography:
https://wath-on-dearne.com/wathondearne/around-the-dearne-valley/
- Council’s Bigbelly bins eat more waste
- Seven years behind bars for Sheffield dangerous driver
- Beware ‘BT’ phone scam
- Information sought after man seriously injured in Thurnscoe
- Wath Colliery band Christmas Carol service
- Appeal for help to finish Rotherham poppy cascade
- Did you witness Shepcote Lane collision?
- Arrest after police helicopter targeted in Barnsley laser attack
- Four years for Nazi teen who downloaded terror handbook
- My oh My – What a beard
- E-fit released in connection to exposure incident, Sheffield
- Six men charged in connection to burglaries and robbery
- The American Bison Bison Bison!
- Prison for sneak-in burglar from Barnsley
- Violent offender jailed for five years following Sheffield street robbery
- Pumpkin Festival and Wizardry School 2018 at Cannon Hall Farm
- Get involved in our conversation about local libraries
- Wates Residential North and Rotherham Council build futures for local jobseekers
- Penalty Charge Notices could end with clamping
- HGV crashes into house in Barnsley
- Barnsley man facing prison for storing unauthorised vehicles
- X-Factor Star to Appear in Rotherham Civic Theatre Panto
- Man charged with murder following Hillsborough stabbing
- Young traders fly the flag for Barnsley Markets
- Police and fire community safety teams join forces in major collaboration milestone
- Barnsley attacker jailed for 2 years
- Mexborough Charles Smith
- Wombwell man murdered by killer out on licence, inquest hears
- Jailed for stabbing man in the back
- Special Olympics torch to run through Barnsley
- Extra staff to tackle litter, dog fouling and illegal parking
- Seven arrested in connection with Mexborough shooting
- Coronavirus – Doorstep fraud and scams
- Do you recognise these tattoos?
- Charity’s plea to rescue centres
- Second referendum facts
- Residents make Clifton Park a winner
- Appeal for witnesses after collision in Brampton
- wathupondearne Latest news in Yorkshire: January 24, 2019 11:28:24 AM Scotland’s former First Minister Alex Salmond has been arrested by police and charged, with a report sent to the procurator fiscal. He is due to appear in court in Edinburgh later today. Sky News are reporting that proceedings are now live under the Contempt of Court Act. Police did not say what Salmond, who served as first minister from 2007 to 2014, is charged with. Two people have made harassment complaints against the SNP grandee but he denies them and took successful legal action against the Scottish government over their investigation. Earlier this month a court said the government’s decisions were “procedurally unfair and… tainted with apparent bias”. At the time Salmond said he is “not guilty of any criminality whatsoever.” The party leader resigned following the loss of the Scottish independence referendum but represented Gordon in the House of Commons from 2015 to 2017. Reported on Twitter by James Matthews (SKY) ?Verified account @jamesmatthewsky Police Scotland on Alex
- 20mph outside schools – ten more schools to benefit
News source: BBC