Latest news in Yorkshire: September 11, 2017 10:57:59 AM
Receiving a diagnosis of dementia can be a frightening time for those people affected, their friends and family.
Barnsley Council wants to remind residents that there are plenty of resources and support available.
Councillor Margaret Bruff, Cabinet Spokesperson for People (Safeguarding), said: “Knowing where to start or find resources can be time consuming and confusing. It’s important that people get a diagnosis as soon as possible as there are many types of dementia and knowing which one you may have will help in getting the right support. A GP or Memory Team will be able to help people find out what is appropriate for them, but the council webpage is a good starting point.”
There is also a wealth of support for carers on the council website and it is important for people to know that their social life and health and well-being should not suffer because they have acquired a caring role or because they have received a diagnosis of dementia.
It is possible to live well with dementia and Barnsley has several well respected support groups. More information and links to the following organisations are available via the council’s dementia webpage.
The Alzheimer’s Society in Barnsley offers advice, information and support and can be contacted on 01226 296301.
Barnsley’s Dementia Action Alliance has an impressive list of organisations that are signed up to being dementia friendly.
Barnsley Independent Alzheimer’s And Dementia Support (BIADS) offers a wealth of social activities and support. Contact 01226 280057 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Butterflies meet several times a week and offers afternoon tea, dancing, outings and support groups. Contact Julie Brown on 07545 815513 or visit their Facebook page www.facebook.com/ButterfliesBarnsley/
Making Space has a Dementia Support Services, contact 01226 288772 or email email@example.com
Barnsley Dementia Support Service (South Yorkshire Housing Association) offers free advice and practical support to give people the confidence to live well, or care for someone living with dementia. Contact 01142 2900 200 or 0800 1380 380.
- Manvers Prep. Plant
- A man has been arrested following an assault in Barnsley.
- Storm Bronagh
- Gene Responsible for Down Syndrome
- E-fit released in connection to distraction burglary
- Boys to be dealt with for damage to Barnsley monument
- Man charged with attempted grooming of 12 year old
- Wath Comp Bumper crop of A-Level results
- Serious collision near Stainforth, Doncaster – can you help?
- Denaby Crossing
- Two jailed for hate crimes in Rotherham
- Rogue landlords pay the penalty
- South Yorkshire Police to use spit hoods following trial
- Did you witness Shepcote Lane collision?
- Melton Hall Mexborough
- E-fit released in connection to exposure incident, Sheffield
- Accused man says girl “was lying then and is lying now”
- Poundworld announce closures
- Over 35-years behind bars
- Barnsley stabbing: Woman charged with attempted murder
- Northern strike to go ahead tomorrow
- Hyperloop One to build super-fast underwater transport system
- Celebrate Christmas at the Mayor’s Charity Ball
- Statement on the outcome of misconduct in public office trial
- Man arrested in connection with alleged vehicle crimes
- 9 years for sexually abusive Taxi driver
- Police and fire community safety teams join forces in major collaboration milestone
- England Lionesses to host Sweden at New York Stadium
- Fewer takeaways for Barnsley town centre?
- Rotherham drugs raid reveals £500k crop
- Barnsley Council shortlisted for Local Authority of the Year Award
- Two men charged with Rotherham burglaries
- Woman charged in connection to death of elderly man in Sheffield
- On this day in 1915
- Witness appeal following sexual assault, Sheffield
- Halloween Spooktacular at Wentworth Garden Centre
- Bonfire night Arsonists’ attack the Dearne
- Metalysis powers up first industrial scale plant
- E-fit released in connection to Rotherham robbery
- Landlord pleads guilty to waste offence