20180921-bad-dental-work.jpg
Latest news in Yorkshire: September 21, 2018 11:58:49 AM
#wathupondearne
A Dental patient left in excruciating pain after dentists failed to spot and
treat tooth decay has been awarded £7,000 in compensation.
Lorraine Cuthbert-Hoyle (59) lost her tooth and had her holiday to the
Caribbean ruined by the aftermath of the poor treatment she was given at Ivy
Cottage Dental Care in Rotherham town centre.
Not only did dentists Dr Diana Gardner and Dr Nazma Majid fail to deal with
the decay at first, they did not remove the root of the tooth properly when
it was finally extracted.
After instructing lawyers, Mrs Cuthbert-Hoyle eventually agreed the
four-figure out-of-court settlement, although the dentists did not admit
liability.
Id never had any problems with my teeth, she said. As far as I knew, bar
a few fillings, they were in good condition and I trusted my dentist.
So when a filling broke in 2014, I just thought Dr Gardner would fix it
with minimal fuss.
Dr Gardner restored Mrs Cuthbert-Hoyles filling in April 2014, but only a
few weeks later she was back in the dentists chair.
After the filling had been restored, something still didnt feel right,
she said.
Food suddenly kept getting trapped around the tooth, for example.
I went back to see Dr Gardner and told her. But she assured me nothing was
wrong and said Id be fine.
The following February, Mrs Cuthbert-Hoyle went to see Dr Majid because she
was suffering from pain and throbbing at the same tooth.
The dentist prescribed antibiotics, but advised that one option to stop the
pain was to have the tooth extracted.
She decided to go ahead as she was due to go on holiday, but the surgery did
not go to plan leading to a horrific extraction.
It took far longer than anticipated, which meant my anaesthetic had to be
topped up, she said.
It also meant that I needed medication after the extraction was completed
as I had contracted an infection, which caused a terrible allergic reaction.
My arms and legs were covered in a rash and I was shaking uncontrollably
when my husband returned from work.
Mrs Cuthbert-Hoyle flew out for her holiday, but found chewing food painful
and spent much of her time worrying about what treatment she faced after she
returned home.
Medics at hospital back in the UK confirmed much of the tooths root was
still there, causing continued toothache.
Investigations by the Dental Law Partnership revealed her tooth decay was
clearly visible on X-rays taken as far back as 2012, and the tooth should
have been removed then.
To add to that, the eventual removal of the tooths root caused Mrs
Cuthbert-Hoyle facial swelling and bruising.
I should have been on an incredible holiday in the Caribbean but the pain
made it a nightmare, Mrs Cuthbert-Hoyle said.
On top of this I feel that Ive lost my tooth for no reason.
A spokeswoman for Ivy Cottage Dental Care said: We are sorry to hear about
the pain and suffering suffered by Mrs Cuthbert-Hoyle and are pleased a
settlement has been agreed with the dentists concerned, who no longer work
at this practice.
Our current experienced and enthusiastic team genuinely love what they do
and are committed to forging long term partnerships with all of our
patients. We cannot comment further because of our duty of patient
confidentiality.
===================
See our yorkshire photography:
https://wath-on-dearne.com/wathondearne/around-the-dearne-valley/
- Shadows of Transformation: Chronicles of a Town called Wath-upon-Dearne
- Why malicious communications could get you more than a loss of followers
- Barnsley officers take action against ‘cuckooing’
- Yellow warning for Yorkshire & Humber Sunday – Monday
- Motorists urged to check vehicle doors are secure
- Success for GPS dementia sufferer trackers
- Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) Rotherham Town Centre and Clifton Park
- Doncaster prison officer charged with conveying drugs into HMP Lindholme
- wathupondearne Latest news in Yorkshire: October 16, 2018 02:12:57 PM
- A sparkling Christmas full of magic at Yorkshire Wildlife Park
- Cannabis seized and two arrested during Barnsley warrant
- Man pleads guilty to further Sheffield sexual offences
- Fraud investigation launched in Rotherham
- Great day for Tony and Dan
- Wombwell Pharmacist counts the cost after breaching food laws
- Crime prevention advice issued following Sheffield burglaries.
- Burglary of elderly couple – did you witness anything?
- Make this summer a safe one for your children online
- Celebrate Christmas at the Mayor’s Charity Ball
- Concerns grow for missing man Anthony Lister
- Man charged in connection to Sheffield murder investigation
- Fewer takeaways for Barnsley town centre?
- Student pivots into international competition
- Cigarettes seized from Barnsley businesses
- Lord Ahmed enters no plea
- Wath Main Colliery Rescue Team 1952
- Flavours Food Festival returns with a bang
- Eleven-year-old boy injured during Barnsley collision – did you see what happened?
- £20k drugs haul lands Doncaster man behind bars for six years
- New Computer Is World Champion
- Shots fired at house in Doncaster – did you see anything?
- Anti-Fraud Awareness Week is almost here
- Rotherham Council initiative to drive clean air
- BREAKING: Body found at Parkgate, Rotherham
- Man remains in custody following Sheffield assault
- Wath’s Last Underground Carol Service
- Shisha users targeted in health campaign
- Widow appeal over husband’s Barnsley woodland death
- Barnsley sexual assault – e-fit released
- Child in critical condition following Dodworth collision, Barnsley
News source: rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk