20160419-fraudsters.png
Fraud investigation launched in Rotherham
Latest news in Yorkshire: September 04, 2018 12:04:54 PM
Detectives in Rotherham have launched a fraud investigation following a
series of incidents involving bogus police officers.
Operation Siberia was launched in response to numerous reported fraud
incidents in Rotherham and Sheffield.
Officers received the first report in early July and Operation Siberia is
now investigating 15 separate reports of fraud in Rotherham and Sheffield.
Victims report receiving a phone call from someone claiming to be a
detective from New Scotland Yard, the Metropolitan Police or another force
outside of South Yorkshire, investigating fraud in Rotherham.
The caller has gone on to say that a bank card has been used fraudulently
and asked the victim to contact another number to provide their bank
details. The call has been made from a withheld number.
Detective Sergeant Rob Cobley is investigating the series of linked
incidents.
Although it is easily done and I dont want to criticise people for being
trustworthy, I cant stress enough how important it is not to give out
personal details over the phone, he said.
Police officers will never ask for personal financial details and banks
will never do this over the phone.
If you have any elderly or vulnerable relatives, please do speak to them
about fraud and remind them not to give their details out.
DS Cobley said that of the 15 incidents, 13 had been reported in Rotherham
and two in Sheffield. On four occasions, victims have gone to their banks to
withdraw money. On one occasion, the bank would not allow the withdrawal of
cash but in one instance, the victim was conned out of £12,000.
If you, or if someone you know has received a similar call, please let us
know so we can gather as much evidence as possible to bring the offenders to
justice, he added.
Fraud is a cowardly and calculated crime and no-one should be taken
advantage of and be made to feel so vulnerable.
Id hate to think that more people could fall victim to fraud so please
share our advice far and wide.
Anyone with information is asked to contact 101 quoting Operation Siberia.
You can also contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
There is information available about this type of fraud on the Action Fraud
website here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-az-courier-scam
See our Yorkshire Photography:
https://wath-on-dearne.com/wathondearne/around-the-dearne-valley/
- Renewed appeal to trace teenager Olivia
- Body found confirmed to be Alena Grlakova
- Have you seen Nathanial Brown?
- Wates Residential North and Rotherham Council build futures for local jobseekers
- Wath Comp Bumper crop of A-Level results
- Do you recognise this man?
- New students invited to Barnsley College’s Open Day
- Yellow warning for Yorkshire & Humber
- Swinton High Street Tram
- Conisbrough Castle Fireplace
- The Glass Works and wider Barnsley town centre development
- Beth takes centre stage
- Investigation launched following death of 85-year-old man, Sheffield
- Barnsley shop fined for selling out-of-date food
- Stolen wedding ring returned to elderly man
- £30 million housing boost for Rotherham Town Centre
- wathupondearne Latest news in Yorkshire: October 30, 2018 02:42:20 PM Over 80 stalls set to be occupied in The Glass Works for first day of trading Over 80 stalls are set to be occupied in the new Barnsley Market Hall ahead of its opening on Friday 2 November. Traders are busy preparing for the move into The Glass Works following the hugely successful move of meat and fish traders into the Barnsley Market Food Hall at the start of September. And today, Barnsley Council is delighted to announce that almost all of the stalls in the market will be occupied on the first day of trading with the remainder opening over the next few months. Fifty-three stalls will set up on the ground floor of the market on opening day with others moving in before the end of the year. Upstairs, 32 of the 40 units will be occupied. The remaining eight are set to be let before the end of the year. The opening of Barnsley Market Hall – a momentous occasion in the market’s rich history – will take place on May Day Green on Friday 2 November with an official opening a day later on Saturday 3 November. The first exciting details about the occasion can now be revealed. The Mayor of Barnsley, Councillor Steve Green, will ring the traditional market bell after a speech from Leader of Barnsley Council, Sir Steve Houghton. We’ll be celebrating the history of Barnsley Market with your market memories – while there will also be family entertainment, promotions, competitions and special guest appearances. The move of market traders into the new Market Hall represents a huge milestone in The Glass Works project. Traders from Market Parade will leave their temporary home underneath the multi-storey car park after trading on Saturday 20 October. May Day Green Market will remain open until Saturday 27 October. They will move into the new Market Hall – a bright, modern and spacious market setting more akin to a department store. The new market will also feature extended opening hours and Thursday openings. Meanwhile, market cafes are preparing to move into Market Kitchen later in the month with more details on the move and flagship food court to be announced soon. Councillor Roy Miller, Cabinet Spokesperson for Place, said: “The opening of Barnsley Market Hall will be a fantastic occasion. We’re extremely excited to welcome the traders into The Glass Works and right back into the heart of Barnsley town centre. “The redevelopment of our town centre is built around our famous market. Barnsley has had a market since 1249; it’s what we’re famous for and that’s why the new market is at the centre of The Glass Works. People from far and wide will want to visit the famous Barnsley Market and celebrate what’s sure to be a fantastic next chapter in its rich history. “I want to urge local people to come out and support our brilliant market traders in the Market Hall and Food Hall, both for the opening and moving forward into the future.” Following the market’s move into The Glass Works, the temporary building on May Day Green will be dismantled and sold on, while Market Parade will come down with the multi-storey car park in January. The opening of Barnsley Market Hall – together with the Food Hall – is part of the multi-million pound redevelopment of Barnsley town centre, which includes The Glass Works, markets, public realm, Library @ The Lightbox and Market Gate Bridge. You can follow all the latest updates on social media by following
- Iceland Foods fined £2.5 million following fatal accident
- Man sentenced for hate crime in Rotherham
- Police and Crime Commissioner Shaun Wright – No further action taken
- Wath Colliery band Christmas Carol service
- Two Barnsley men due in court charged with burglary
- Arrest after police helicopter targeted in Barnsley laser attack
- Will’s artwork goes under the hammer
- Rotherham Oktoberfest at Clifton Park
- A man has been arrested following an assault in Barnsley.
- Dearne and Dove Canal Wath
- Man charged in connection to murder of Barnsley woman
- Man charged following Rotherham drugs raid
- South Yorkshire prepares to watch Three Lions roar
- Shots fired at house in Doncaster – did you see anything?
- Thousands to be spent stubbing out smoking in Barnsley
- Council sets out ambition to end rough sleeping in Rotherham
- HS2 demolition toll rises in Mexborough
- Gene Responsible for Down Syndrome
- South Yorkshire Police calls for retired officers and staff to return to work amid pandemic
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder in Barnsley
- Woman dies following Woodhouse collision
- New Sponsor for Wath Comprehensive School
- Wath Grammar School Reunion