THE QUEEN OF VILLAGES
Dearne and Dove Canal
Coal mining must have become an important industry towards the end of the 18th Century.
The Dearne and Dove Canal, which was opened in stages from 1798 to 1804 was built to transport fuel from the local collieries on the southern side of the Dearne Valley to markets in the rest of Britain.
The canal passed through the town just to the north of the High Street on a large embankment and then turned north into the Dearne valley: a wide section known locally as the ‘Bay of Biscay’.
The canal finally closed in 1961 after many years unused and in poor repair. Much of the line of the canal in the town has since been used for new roads; one called ‘Biscay Way’.
Here is another uploaded picture from our numerous archived collections. You can SHARE all our community posts and images. Tell your friends and family to join in and be sure to post your news, events and most of all, your comments to any of the published content which is intended for everyone’s enjoyment.
- Funding help for community groups in Barnsley
- West Melton in South Yorkshire
- Sheffield man jailed for historic sexual abuse of young boy
- Jail for dangerous Barnsley driver
- Council tax break for care leavers
- Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) Rotherham Town Centre and Clifton Park
- Attempt robbery of woman in Kiveton, Rotherham
- Wath Grammar School 1958
- Campaign to cut food waste
- Second man charged in Rotherham incident
- Girlineers inspire local school pupils
- University Centre Rotherham Appoints Contractor Willmott Dixon
- Wath All Saints Church Rear
- Rare Photo Hooton Roberts
- Bring back Rotherham’s second night-time fire pump
- Art and Design students gain Picasso insight
- Charity’s plea to rescue centres
- Eleven-year-old boy injured during Barnsley collision – did you see what happened?
- A new miller has been found for the 17th Century Worsbrough Mill
- Two more years in jail for Sheffield child abuser
- Man charged in connection to murder of Barnsley woman
- Man arrested following Barnsley grass fire
- Rotherham Doorman In Court
- Barnsley incident: woman remanded in custody
- Barnsley Sixth Form College celebrates A Level results
- Serious collision near Stainforth, Doncaster – can you help?
- Independent investigation reports by RMBC
- Search teams recover body from water
- Siblings jailed for forcing young woman into prostitution
- Groom Brothers Mexborough
- IT course at Wath-upon-Dearne
- No suspicious circumstances in Barnsley man’s death
- Virtual reality for children in care support
- Fatal collision in Brierley, Barnsley
- £20k drugs haul lands Doncaster man behind bars for six years
- Invest in your future!
- Mexborough South Yorkshire – Railway
- Wath Comp Bumper crop of A-Level results
- Risks of taking antibiotics when you don’t need to
- NEW ENGLISH FRIENDS COMMUNITY LAUNCHED