THE QUEEN OF VILLAGES
Dearne and Dove Canal
Coal mining must have become an important industry towards the end of the 18th Century.
The Dearne and Dove Canal, which was opened in stages from 1798 to 1804 was built to transport fuel from the local collieries on the southern side of the Dearne Valley to markets in the rest of Britain.
The canal passed through the town just to the north of the High Street on a large embankment and then turned north into the Dearne valley: a wide section known locally as the ‘Bay of Biscay’.
The canal finally closed in 1961 after many years unused and in poor repair. Much of the line of the canal in the town has since been used for new roads; one called ‘Biscay Way’.
Here is another uploaded picture from our numerous archived collections. You can SHARE all our community posts and images. Tell your friends and family to join in and be sure to post your news, events and most of all, your comments to any of the published content which is intended for everyone’s enjoyment.
- Dental patient awarded £7,000 in compensation
- Bus fire in Rotherham
- Wath Grammar School 1958
- NASA Extends Hubble Space Telescope Science Operations Contract
- Snap up a new career at UCB
- Strikes affect Northern and Southern Networks
- The Battle of Orgreave 1984
- Prison for man who stole from his own family.
- Sheffield student’s MDMA death: Dealers are jailed
- FGM protection orders granted to safeguard victims
- Double hand transplant a ‘marvellous ride’
- Council tax break for care leavers
- Jury out on Taxi driver accused of rape
- Medieval History Society
- It’s never too late to learn
- Second man charged in Rotherham incident
- Doncaster assault- do you recognise this man?
- Rotherham Show 2018 – something for everyone!
- Wath Brewers Whitworth Son and Nephew
- Stelrad Boiler Maintenance 1978
- Mental health issues are better recognised in Rotherham
- Shots fired at house in Doncaster – did you see anything?
- The Chapel On The Bridge
- Did you witness motorcycle collision in Wath?
- SYP to launch Safe Pass initiative
- Search teams recover body from water
- Arrest after police helicopter targeted in Barnsley laser attack
- Pedestrian seriously injured in Doncaster collision
- It’s not too late to join us at University Campus Barnsley
- Taxi driver found guilty of rape
- Did you witness Shepcote Lane collision?
- Melton Hall Mexborough
- Rotherham Show returns for its 38th year
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park project to help save polar bears
- Inspirational seven-year-old from Wombwell
- Widow appeal over husband’s Barnsley woodland death
- Clampdown on boy racers between Barnsley and Rotherham
- Murder of 31-year-old man in Sheffield
- Hoober Observatory near Wentworth
- Free heart screening coming to Wath Tesco